TallyPrime has made data synchronisation between multiple branch offices and the head office easy. The process of tally data synchronisation includes replicating or consolidating tally data between two or more locations i.e. from the head office to the branches, warehouses or factories. This makes it easy for the branch offices to send data to the head office and vice versa. The entire process of sharing data is done over the Internet or a private network irrespective of the usage of data, based on the type of work done at each location.
The frequency of updating data at various locations also differs and largely depends on the volume of data generated at each location or the availability/urgency of having the latest updates at each location. The new features available with TallyPrime has further simplified this process making it an ideal system for various organisations.
Read more: Why update Tally.ERP to the Latest Version
A. Different Ways For Data Synchronisation in TallyPrime
For data synchronisation in TallyPrime, you can use either of the licenses – TallyPrime Silver (Single user) or TallyPrime Gold (multi-user). The system that initiates the synchronisation is referred to as the ‘Client,’ whereas the receiving system (with which the synchronisation is performed) is called the ‘Server.’ Being a two-way process, to transfer data, you need to have the same release of TallyPrime at both locations.
- Tally.NET: Tally data synchronisation is usually done over the internet through the Tally.NET server. For this, you require a valid Tally.NET subscription at both ends – the client and the server. Also, the Tally.Net server is used only for the handshake between the Tally licenses and as such, doesn’t store any data.
- Direct Synchronisation: Another way for data synchronisation in TallyPrime is the direct route wherein you use your own private network or Virtual Private Network. Direct synchronisation doesn’t require any additional charges and is referred to as IP synchronisation.
B. Advantages of Tally Data Synchronisation
- Tally data synchronisation is simple to configure & implement, so you can synchronise data with just a single click.
- All tally data is replicated/updated simultaneously at both the server and the client end. This helps avoid duplication, thereby minimising errors.
- You have the choice to either share/transfer the data over a private network or through Tally.Net Server.
- Through tally data synchronisation, you can share authenticated critical business data including accounting masters from the head office, payment or receipt information from branch offices, inventory related data from different warehouses, among others.
- For tally synchronisation setup, you don’t require a dedicated high-end infrastructure or trained personnel.
- Through data synchronisation, the head office can have accurate and timely MIS reports at hand at all times, which facilitates faster decision-making.
C. Tally Data Synchronisation – Do’s and Don’ts
1. Same F11: Features Should be Activated on Client and Server Company
To ensure accurate tally data synchronisation, you need to activate the same (F11) features on both the client and the server company. If the features are not the same, some information may not get synchronised. For instance, if tracking numbers are enabled at one end and disabled at the other, there will be errors in the sales/purchase bills pending reports.
2. Alteration of Default Voucher Type Names
If there is any alteration in default voucher type names, the same will be altered during data synchronisation based on the voucher type configurations that are made in the server/client rules to Ignore modified voucher type masters.
If the Ignore modified voucher type masters is enabled in rules, it will restrict the data from getting synchronised.
In this case, under the default voucher types, you need to create new voucher types. Here, you can create location-wise voucher types if needed. Also, if required, you can specify the method of voucher numbering with prefix or suffix. This will ensure seamless data synchronisation across locations.
Also, it is best to create the required voucher types at the client and server end, as the use of automatic voucher numbering can make it difficult to trace vouchers after synchronisation. This is because, during synchronisation, each voucher is allotted a new incremental voucher number, which makes it difficult to trace.
3. Alteration of Accounting or Inventory Masters
Manual correction is needed on both the server and the client systems when accounting or inventory masters are altered as a new master gets created at the other end of the synchronising data.
4. Same GUID for all locations
Implementation of tally data synchronisation for multiple locations will not be available if two or more companies have the same GUID.
5. Master Balances
Since the masters created at multiple locations may differ during data synchronisation, it is important to understand the requirements for master level information like the name of the masters and opening balances. For example, you can maintain one main group for ‘conveyance’ and create multiple ledgers at various locations to account for ‘conveyance expenses.’ These multiple ledgers can then be grouped under the main conveyance group.
#Security Controls for Synchronisation
Those with the owner credentials can set access rights for different users to ensure only authorised users can perform certain tasks. This is one of the essential features to protect tally data while working remotely. The new set of security controls for TallyPrime data synchronisation include:
- Client/Server Rule: With this synchronisation rule in tally, the user is allowed or disallowed to create, alter or delete the client or server rules. You can select the access type for different users as per the requirements.
- Synchronisation: You can grant permission to select users to perform data synchronisation from the client or server end.
- Sync Reports: You can provide access rights to users, allowing/disallowing them from viewing different synchronisation reports.
Request a Tally Prime Demo now and experience seamless data management for streamlining your business operations.